Programs and Services

Choose a category to filter
The ATLAS system is a user-friendly mapping tool that provides information about parcels of land in the Northwest Territories.
Submit your expressions of interest for a position on a number of boards and committees.
Department of Lands’ Resource Management Officers, or inspectors, are responsible for the inspection of various resource operations in the NWT.
The Government of the Northwest Territories is looking to harmonize and align the two Land Acts to improve the way we manage and administer public lands.
The Department of Lands issues leases on Territorial and Commissioner’s land for various types of uses.
A land use permit may be required depending on the proposed land use activity.
The Department of Lands supports land use planning to guide decision-making about what activities should take place on public lands in the Northwest Territories.
Make a payment on your account with the GNWT
The Department of Lands has a coordinating role on behalf of the Government of the Northwest Territories for processes related to environmental assessment in the NWT.
The Department of Lands issues quarrying permits and quarrying leases on Commissioner’s and Territorial Lands for the purpose of extracting sand, gravel, stone, loam, and other types of granular material.
Recreation management plans provide direction and guidance on how to manage outdoor recreation resources and opportunities in a particular area.
The GNWT Recreational Leasing Management Framework outlines the GNWT’s approach for reviewing and updating its management of recreational uses of public land, including cabin leases across the NWT.
Norman wells area
This will be a plain language workshop for resource management practitioners with an emphasis on how to participate meaningfully in resource co-management processes.
“Securities” are funds or financial assurances such as letters of credit supplied by authorized users of public land and water, and held by government, to ensure there is money available to clean up a site, if needed.
The Department of Lands is working to identify and address the root causes of unauthorized occupation in the Northwest Territories.
The Government of Northwest Territories is developing a recreation management plan for the lands outside and around Yellowknife, Dettah and N’dilo that are well-used for outdoor recreation.