Land Management Boards

Are you interested in Land and Resource Management in the Northwest Territories?

If so, the Government of the Northwest Territories is looking for members of the public who want to serve on various Boards and committees.

Apply now: Surface Rights Board

Board members receive remuneration.

Deadline to apply is December 5, 2022.

Board Member and Alternate
Gwich’in Settlement Area. Applicant must be a resident of Aklavik, Fort McPherson, Inuvik, or Tsiigehtchic.

Alternate Board Member
Inuvik or NWT portion of the Inuvialuit Settlement Region. Applicant must be a resident Aklavik, Inuvik, Paulatuk, Sachs Harbour, Tuktoyaktuk or Ulukhaktok

In addition to meeting the residency requirement, prospective candidates must have considerable knowledge in respect of lands, the environment or Aboriginal traditional knowledge in relation to the applicable settlement area.

How do I apply?

Download the application formPlease select which boards you wish to be considered for. You may apply to as many boards as you wish.

Expressions of interest will be kept on file for two years.

Preference may be given to NWT residents.

Submit your completed application form and a detailed resume by email:

or by mail:  

     Board Appointments - Care of PLC Division
     Department of Lands
     4923-52nd Street
     PO Box 1320, Yellowknife
     X1A 2L9

We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those who are considered will be contacted.

What role does the GNWT have in Public Boards?

The Government of the Northwest Territories is responsible for making nominations or appointments to a variety of public committees, boards and councils (public boards). These public boards have been created through legislation, intergovernmental agreements, or government policy. Appointments are made by Cabinet, the Commissioner in Executive Council or the responsible Minister.

What Boards can I apply to through the Department of Lands?

*Minister of Lands nominates a candidate or candidates to these Boards or Committees. The successful nominee is appointed by the Federal Minister. All candidates proposed for appointment must undergo a Federal security clearance.

**Minister of Lands appoints members to the Surface Rights Board.

The selection of successful candidates will be based on individual’s experience and knowledge in the area of northern land and resource management. This can be demonstrated through professional education and employment as well as community involvement and life experience.

Remuneration is provided to Board and Committee members.


Please email or call (867) 767-9182, ext 24050.