YELLOWKNIFE (October 4, 2016) – The Government of the Northwest Territories has released its draft Recreational Land Management Framework for the Northwest Territories. The framework will guide how the GNWT develops policy and makes decisions about public land management for years to come.
The draft framework outlines the GNWT’s approach for reviewing and updating its management of cabin leases and recreational uses of public land across the NWT.
NWT residents provided valuable information through a series of public engagement opportunities over the past two years.
To complete the engagement portion, the GNWT is asking the public to review the draft framework during the month of October 2016 and provide feedback through an online survey at the Department of Lands website. The public is also invited to come to open houses over the next few weeks in various communities.
After the GNWT reviews the feedback, the GNWT will make any necessary changes and finalize the Recreational Land Management Framework. The GNWT will then work through the priorities identified in the framework.
Finalizing the framework will allow the GNWT to improve coordination, and effectiveness in resource management systems, recognizing traditional knowledge, land claim agreements, and devolution.
“This framework recognizes that land is fundamental to all aspects of northern life. Once finalized, the Recreation Land Management Framework will guide policy development and public land management decisions across the Northwest Territories. We encourage the public to take a look at the proposed draft and let us know if we are on the right track. ”
- Louis Sebert, Minister of Lands
- Between January and March of 2015, the GNWT held public meetings across the Northwest Territories. We gathered feedback through online surveys to identify the public’s interests and concerns about how to manage public lands for recreational uses. This information was carefully reviewed and established the foundation for the draft framework.
- During July and August 2016, the GNWT formally consulted with Aboriginal governments and organizations across the Territory on the draft framework. The opportunity to provide feedback on the draft Framework continues until the end of October.
- The GNWT will finalize the Framework later this fall after it reviews the results of this last round of public engagement.
- Draft Recreational Land Management Framework
- Online feedback form
- Public Meeting Schedule
For more information, contact:
Senior Communications Officer
Department of Lands
Tel: (867) 767-9182, ext. 24057