Apply for a Commercial Land Lease

Commercial Lease: An approved lease gives the occupant the exclusive right to use the land for a specified period of time and allows the lessee to make improvements on the land. Specific terms and conditions are included in the approved lease. 

Eligibility: A company that is registered in the NWT is eligible to apply.

Before you apply: Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to confirm that the land parcel they wish to apply for is available. Regional office staff can help you to determine if it's available or you can access ATLAS an online mapping tool.

Application forms:

After you apply:  Every application undergoes a standard review process, and consultation with Indigenous governments, as well as other governments and GNWT departments, where applicable. This process can take three to six months to complete. If an application is rejected, it is returned along with a letter outlining the reasons the application was denied.

Application fee: Commissioner's Land: $250
                            Territorial Land: $250

Related Information

Agricultural land use

If you are interested in leasing public land for agricultural purposes you can submit a commercial lease application to the Department of Lands. If the parcel you selected available and not subject to other interests, the Department will work with you to make sure that the lease application is appropriately considered and processed. Please also contact your local government to determine how it regulates agricultural activities within community boundaries. If the land you are interested in is located within a settled land claim area, and the land is owned by a claimant group, you must apply to the owner of the land to obtain a lease and follow all planning and zoning bylaws.

For more information about agricultural activities, research, small scale foods program and the food safety program in the Northwest Territories, visit the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment.

Applying for a lease in the Sahtu or Gwich’in settlement areas?

Before you apply, make sure that your proposed land use is compatible with the zoning, conformity requirements or conditions for the legally binding land use plans.  Applicants are encouraged to contact the Planning Boards for advice on how to conform to the plans: