Apply for a Residential Lease

A residential lease is required for individuals wishing to build a permanent structure.

Residential Lease:

An approved lease gives the occupant the exclusive right to use the land for a specified period of time and allows the lessee to make improvements on the land. Specific terms and conditions are included in the approved lease.

Eligibility: A person over the age of 19.

Before you apply: Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to confirm that the land parcel they wish to apply for is available prior to submitting an application. Contact regional office staff to determine if a land parcel is available use the  ATLAS  online mapping tool.

Application form:

After you apply: Each application submitted undergoes a standard review process, consultation with Indigenous governments, as well as other governments and GNWT departments, where applicable. This process can take three to six months to complete. If an application is rejected, it is returned along with a letter outlining the reasons the application could not be processed.

Application fee: Commissioner's Land - $250
                            Territorial Land - $250

Related Information

Applying for a lease in the Sahtu or Gwich’in settlement areas?

Before you apply, make sure that your proposed land use is compatible with the zoning, conformity requirements or conditions for the legally binding land use plans.  Applicants are encouraged to contact the Planning Boards for advice on how to conform to the plans: